Your home is a place of comfort, safety and joy, but it can be so much more. You should feel a sense of luxury and satisfaction every time you open the door. Some people will invest in significant renovations to create a more lavish living experience. If you have room in your budget, this is a great option. However, there are countless ways to elevate your home without breaking the bank and can result in your house looking magazine-worthy.
How do you attain this high-end feel even if you have a shoestring budget? Here are a few simple ideas to get you started.
Begin With a Blank Slate
The first step in upgrading your home decor is often to start with a blank slate. If you have a lot of clutter in the house, your carefully chosen decor items will get lost in the chaos. Thorough cleaning and decluttering will help you design your vision for your home. Donate or discard as much as you can. Everything else should either become part of your decor or be stored away out of sight. This might be a great opportunity for a beautiful cabinet! Once your home is clean from top to bottom, you can move on to the next stage.
Want to take your commitment to luxury in the home even further? Here are some other ideas you have to try!
- 6 Luxury Home Design Trends to Try Right Now
- How To Build the Perfect Gallery Wall
- Five Home Upgrades that Provide High Returns
What Does Luxury Mean to You?
To create a truly luxurious atmosphere in your home, you must first decide what “luxury” means to you. Everyone is different. What seems elegant to one person can appear chaotic to someone else. Your home decor should reflect your personality and character.
Do you want to have a more inspiring atmosphere surrounded by art and beauty? Do you want a warm, fun place to entertain your friends and loved ones, full of excitement, laughter and lively conversation? Or do you prefer a more peaceful, serene environment that you can look forward to unwind in at the end of the day?
Once you know what you want your home to represent, you can choose your theme and decor accordingly.
Create Your Canvas
You may not think of your wall colour as part of your decor. However, it is the canvas and the foundation of everything else you decide to do. For the best results, stay with white or a hint of taupe. Monochromatic styling with one cohesive and neutral colour palette can feel very luxurious and keep your surroundings fresh and crisp. Think of a classic Parisian style that you can build upon.
When your canvas is complete, your design will stand out beautifully.
Decide on a Theme
Before you visit your local home store to buy your decor pieces, you should first decide on a consistent theme. Why? Your theme is the glue that holds your entire design together. It’s what stops the effect from appearing unfinished or disorganized.
Creating an air of luxury throughout your home is typically a subtle effect. It isn’t about filling your space with conversation pieces (unless you’re going for a maximalist theme). How do you decide on an idea? Think of how much time and work you’re willing to devote to your home design. If you keep it simple, it will be easier to maintain. If you love decorating and don’t mind spending the time arranging and rearranging, then you can afford to be more creative.
Do you need some inspiration to help choose your theme? Here are some timeless style ideas to get you started:
This theme is simple and functional. Think clean lines, walnut-toned woods, and architectural elements. You don’t need many decor items to be effective, but everything in your home should be beautiful and functional. Glass soap bottles, decorative bowls, and attractive but comfortable furnishings are excellent ways to start. The goal is to remain as clutter-free as possible. If you want to splurge here you can opt for designer pieces that have stood the test of time like an Eames armchair. If the designer piece is too pricey, you can find ‘knock-off’ versions for a fraction of the price.
If your personality is spirited and slightly chaotic, an eclectic theme might be for you. It’s whimsical and playful, full of colour and texture, and a combination of old and new. Be careful not to overdo it, however. If you buy a brightly coloured area rug with a busy pattern, tone it down with neutral colours elsewhere.
The modern industrial style works beautifully if you have an older home or a loft. The theme emphasizes the inherent architecture of the building more than anything else. Decor items should be sparse, and natural materials like wood or metal will complement the beauty of your home.
The Bohemian theme is inspired by multiple eras. It’s perfect for those who love collecting decor items that don’t necessarily match perfectly. Rich colours and vibrant patterns add variety and visual interest to your home without overwhelming the senses. Decorate until your heart’s content with pillows, oversized cushions, plants and flowers. Light up the room with string lights and cozy it up with throw blankets strewn on the furniture. The Bohemian theme allows for a little bit of clutter and a whole lot of personality.
Art is one of the best decor items you can buy, no matter what theme you choose.
And did you know that art is also a great investment tool?
Simple Decor Ideas For Any Budget
Once you’ve decided on a theme, you can plan your shopping trip to find your perfect decor items. There are countless subtle ways to elevate your style and create a more luxurious feel throughout your home.
- Styling with coffee table and books. Some of our favourites are Tom Ford, Architectural Digest at 100: A Century of Style, and Live Beautiful.
- Sculptural decorative/accent pieces for shelves or tabletops like those in marble, or wood. Here’s an example if you’re looking for inspiration! Homesense is also a great place to find decorative objects on a budget.
- Textiles: pillows, an accent throw – Layering pillows on a sofa or bed elevates the look of any room. You can even change them depending on the season to keep your style up to date. For example, linen and natural cotton are great for the summer months. When the weather cools down, switch to more plush and cozy fabrics.
- Invest in art that can be a conversation piece in a room.
- High-quality bedroom linens will not only feel luxurious to sleep in, but the quality will last for years. Frette bedding is one of our favourites.
- Plush white towels in the bathrooms. Look for those that are Turkish cotton as they are of excellent quality and create a spa-like feel.
- Fresh cut flowers add instant colour, beauty and fragrance to any room.
- Luxury scented candles look beautiful and add a touch of atmosphere and scent. Jo Malone and Diptyque are two of our favourite suppliers for unique, high-end designs and fragrances.
- Amber glass soap bottles throughout your home combine functionality with an air of subtle elegance in your kitchen and bathrooms.
- Curated shelves strategically placed and organized allow you to keep your favourite belongings without ever looking cluttered.
- Attractive light fixtures are an excellent way to add design, atmosphere and elegance to every room.
Luxe tip: If you want to provide a more luxurious feel without a hint of clutter, try a drop of eucalyptus oil in the shower. The heat from the water vaporizes the oil, and the fresh, spa-like scent will linger for hours!
Want to talk more about real estate or how to add value to your home?
You can get in touch with us right here.